Having dry skin can make it challenging to achieve a flawless makeup look. If you have dry skin, you may notice that your makeup tends to look patchy or flaky, which can be frustrating. The good news is that with the right skincare routine, you can create a smooth, hydrated canvas for your makeup application. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the essential steps for prepping your skin before applying makeup, including cleansing, exfoliating, and toning.
Step 1: Cleansing
Cleansing is an essential step in any skincare routine, but it’s especially important if you have dry skin. The goal of cleansing is to remove dirt, oil, and impurities from your skin without stripping away its natural oils. For dry skin, you’ll want to look for a gentle, hydrating cleanser that won’t leave your skin feeling tight or dry. Some good options include:
- CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser: This cleanser contains ceramides and hyaluronic acid, which help to hydrate and strengthen the skin barrier.
- La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Cleanser: This cleanser is formulated with prebiotic thermal water and ceramides, which soothe and hydrate the skin.
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Cleansing Gel: This cleanser contains hyaluronic acid, which helps to lock in moisture and leave your skin feeling soft and supple.
To use a cleanser, wet your face with lukewarm water and massage the cleanser onto your skin in circular motions. Rinse thoroughly with water and pat your skin dry with a soft towel.
Step 2: Exfoliating
Exfoliating helps to remove dead skin cells and smooth out any rough patches on your skin. However, if you have dry skin, you’ll want to be careful not to overdo it, as too much exfoliation can irritate your skin and make it even drier. Aim to exfoliate once or twice a week with a gentle exfoliator, such as:
- Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant: This exfoliant contains salicylic acid, which helps to unclog pores and smooth out rough texture.
- The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%: This exfoliant contains lactic acid, which helps to gently exfoliate the skin and improve its texture.
- First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads: These pads are pre-soaked in a solution containing lactic and glycolic acid, which help to exfoliate and brighten the skin.
To use an exfoliator, apply a small amount to your fingertips and massage it onto your skin in circular motions. Rinse thoroughly with water and pat your skin dry with a soft towel.
Step 3: Toning
Toning helps to balance the pH of your skin and prepare it for the rest of your skincare routine. If you have dry skin, you’ll want to look for a toner that’s hydrating and soothing, such as:
- Thayers Witch Hazel Toner: This toner contains witch hazel, which helps to tighten and tone the skin, as well as aloe vera and glycerin, which help to hydrate and soothe.
- Fresh Rose Deep Hydration Facial Toner: This toner contains rosewater, which helps to hydrate and soothe the skin, as well as hyaluronic acid, which helps to lock in moisture.
- Kiehl’s Calendula Herbal-Extract Toner: This toner contains calendula
After toning, it’s time to apply a serum. Serums are concentrated formulas that contain active ingredients that can target specific skin concerns, such as dehydration, fine lines, and dullness. If you have dry skin, look for a serum that contains hydrating ingredients, such as:
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5: This serum contains hyaluronic acid, which can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water, making it an excellent hydrating ingredient for dry skin.
- Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Serum: This serum contains hyaluronic acid and vitamin B5, which work together to hydrate and plump the skin.
- Sunday Riley Good Genes All-In-One Lactic Acid Treatment: This serum contains lactic acid, which helps to gently exfoliate and brighten the skin, as well as hydrating ingredients like squalane and aloe vera.
To use a serum, apply a small amount to your fingertips and gently massage it onto your face and neck. Allow the serum to absorb fully before moving on to the next step in your skincare routine.
By following these four essential steps – cleansing, exfoliating, toning, and applying a serum – you can create a smooth, hydrated canvas for your makeup application. Remember to choose products that are formulated for dry skin and to be gentle with your skin to avoid irritation or further dryness. With a little bit of care and attention, you can achieve a flawless makeup look that lasts all day.